Custom Search

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hunting: Tree Stand Safety


















Let me start this story by providing a few statistics on tree stand related accidents. I did a little research and found that the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) maintains a statistical information system called the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS). This system samples 100 of the approximately 5,300 nationwide emergency hospitals and then formulates a national estimate on different injuries. (See the NEISS link for more detail.) I queried a period of 1/1/2008 to 12/31/2008 and found 127 tree stand related accidents from the sampled population of emergency hospitals. You can actually view the cases and descriptions from the queried results. My point to this is not to provide a shocking estimate of deaths or injuries from tree stand accidents, but to just show that accidents do occur. All hunters that use tree stands more than likely have experienced some sort of close call. The following close call was literally slammed into my memory, and almost put me into the statistical category noted above.

Stepping from my buddy’s truck, the soaking rain from the night before was evident from the water seeping from the ground as I took my first step. This provided some promise for the morning hunt as we figured the deer would be eager to move because they would have hunkered down during the night to weather the storm. A cool misty fog rolled across the field as we started towards our hunting spots. We knew that this hunt would be what I like to call ‘all eyes and no ears’, because the rain had taken the crunch out of the earth’s floor. We came to a split in the path which signaled it was time for us to part. My buddy was headed to a fixed stand looking over a pasture bordered by young pines. I was going to hunt a funnel of hardwoods that extended out from the pasture we just crossed.

Let me interrupt the story for a few important details. We were hunting on my buddy’s property, which I had only hunted a few times before. My buddy was letting me borrow his climbing stand because we were limited on the number of fixed stands we could hunt. I kid with him now that he was a horrible guide because as we got to the split in the path he pointed and said, “Somewhere over there would be good”. I can remember shining my light in the direction he pointed and thinking he was crazy. The hardwood funnel was surrounded by ten foot pines packed so tightly that it would’ve been hard to squeeze a mouse through them and here I am with a cumbersome climbing stand strapped to my back. With no other options, I managed to fight through that mess. Standing on the other side of the pines, I was a bit confused, frustrated, and wet!! Now, let’s get back to the story.

As I entered the funnel area, I found what appeared to be a good tree to climb. I strapped my rifle across my chest and attached the climber to the tree. I started up the tree, trying to be as careful as possible. I usually try to climb about 20 feet or so, but as I got up the tree something didn’t feel right. I eased my weight back into the stand to realize that the tree was angled slightly and I was on the wrong side of the tree. Without much thought, I decided to work myself to the opposite side of the tree. When I made my first move I knew I was in trouble. The upper section of the stand swayed quickly. All in one motion, I let go and grabbed the tree. In a split second my stand was on the ground and I was hanging on. What now and a few expletives swept through my mind. Like a cat, I shimmied down the tree. My heart was racing because I knew I had escaped major injury. My buddy said the clanging of the metal stand as it fell echoed through the woods like a gun blast. It’s no surprise that I saw no deer that morning.

Three key mistakes I made that day:
1. I didn’t have a tree picked out prior to climbing. I was unfamiliar with the area!
2. I was not familiar with the stand I was using.
3. I did not have a safety belt or strap. (Most Important)

One statistic that I would like to know is how often this has happened to other hunters. I can imagine that the number of close calls is significant. I learned that day that safety is most important and a safety belt is a must. At the top of my blog is a custom Google search. Take a minute and type in hunter safety harness into the search field. There are many good options these days. I don’t necessarily have an opinion of which is the best, but I do have an opinion that one is a must!

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't blame this on the friend, he didn't climb the crooked tree.

Anonymous said...

I agree, a good hunter should always know how to pick out a good tree to climb. Never climb a crooked tree!

Tom said...

true, i probably picked the only crooked tree in the woods, but give me a break. it was dark!!

Anonymous said...

make sure you don't climb a rotten tree next time, or the results might not be so good

Anonymous said...

I agree! a rotten tree could be fatal!

Anonymous said...

next time sit on the ground if you're not sure?

Tom said...

good advice. or have a safety system!

Anonymous said...

a safety system? what's that?

Tom said...

a safety harness. kind of like what a rock climber would wear. keeps you from falling 15 feet like i did. http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/ is an example.

Anonymous said...

not all rock climbers wear safety harnesses...fyi

Tom said...

not all hunters do either..fyi..that was somewhat of the point.

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog, I found that it was pretty interesting. However, being a "tree hugger", as i've been referred to before,i say just don't go hunting period!! This way you'll save yourself the time and effort of worrying about what tree you want to climb. Now isn't this a simple solution to all your problems?

What heartless person wants to kill bambi anyways??????

Anonymous said...

I think ya'll are crazy...what's wrong with killing BAMBI every now and then? I mean the younger they are the more tender the meat is!

Anonymous said...

ya'll neeed to stop writing about killing a deer! the blog is about the tree stand and the blogger (tom) not knowing how to find a good tree. Stop straying away from the topic here!

TOM, LEARN HOW TO PICK A GOOD TREE NEXT TIME!!!!

Anonymous said...

well excuse me! "TOM" must not be a good hunter because he doesn't know how to climb a good tree! and on top of that he forgot to bring his safety belt! how many years you been hunting tom?

Tom said...

started deer hunting when i was about 12. "Tom must not be a good hunter because he doesn't know how to climb a good tree!" What in the world? Finding a good tree is not the point!! No matter if the tree is straight or crooked, the point of the story was that safety should be first and wearing a safety harness is a must.

Jake said...

Haha, the post was just dealing with tree stands and safety regarding those tree stands. Tom used a personal experience to signify the need for more safety unless you want to become part of the hospital statistic. You can fall out of a 'good tree' too.

Anonymous said...

Tom, do you honestly want us to believe that you've been hunting since you were 12? Who can even shoot a gun when they're 12? You were probably picking your nose at 12 and thinking about going hunting. You obviously don't know how to pick a good tree. Furthermore, if you know what you're doing you won't fall out of a tree...whether it be a good tree or bad tree!

Tom said...

these comments are great! lol

Anonymous said...

I got a B-U-R-G-E-R!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heck, Tom still can't shoot a gun! I put him on a big buck and what does he do?????? he misses it! hahahaha! He's getting better though with me coaching him on how to shoot straight!

Tom said...

what's the saying, "aim small, miss small"

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Yea, or maybe "aim big, miss big"?

Anonymous said...

I'm just giving you a hard time Tom! ku

Tom said...

SPIRO, respect your elders!!

Anonymous said...

Hell, I know you're my elder! I'll let you tend to these crazy fools on here! I'm out of here like a fat kid in a dodgeball game!

Tom said...

ku

Anonymous said...

Tom, why don't you use a safety device next time? It's not rocket science!

Anonymous said...

I never use a belt when i climb...is that bad?

Tom said...

i would suggest it if you climb...although i would suspect that the majority of hunters don't...the past few years i have hunted fixed stands and usually don't wear it..it's a hard habit to break..

Anonymous said...

I've been hunting for several years and i've never used a safety belt. I guess it's a bad thing that i don't, but it's always so much of a hassle! Maybe i'll learn to deal with the hassle one day before something bad happens!

Anonymous said...

i'm like a cat, i'll jump to the next tree and come down

Tom said...

make sure you get that on video..

Anonymous said...

i'll just land on my head and bounce right back up